Saturday, June 08, 2013

Moving!!

I did it!  I found a new place with NO STEPS!  I absolutely love it!  I've been here now 2 1/2 weeks and am still 'moving in.'  Actually my living room looks pretty good and the majority of the kitchen does also, but my craft room/spare bedroom is a mess!  Although it's looking better than it was Memorial Day weekend.

I actually spent my first night in my new home on May 22nd.  That was moving day for me.  I hired a local trucking company to move the majority of my big stuff.  I did not realize how much stuff I have accumulated over the past 15 years/going on 16 years in my old place.  My girlfriend, Betsy, and I moved a bunch of boxes, etc., every evening for about a week and then the big stuff went.  Memorial Day weekend my children came to help!  Thank goodness!  Barb came in on Friday night and we found a place for her to sleep (the living room sofa) and did some moving of things, going through boxes (getting rid of a lot of stuff -- and I thought I had already done that!).  We made quite a few trips to St. Vinny's and Goodwill that weekend.  Jim came on Saturday to help out too.  He's my electronics expert.  Betsy joined Barb and I on Saturday morning and we got the living room pretty much situated the way it currently is.  I kept my mother's buffet and hutch and that's a big piece of furniture so had to work around it.  My new place does not have an eat -in kitchen.  It has a bar (two or three bar stools will fit) and overlooks the living room.  I have an open view from my patio doors (which is the outside wall of the living room).  I'm sure eventually someone will put up more buildings but for right now, I have an open field and can see the artieral very well from here.  As well as the back of Wellmark and the Westside Fitness Center. 

I had a wonderful surprise on Saturday afternoon.  I had texted Jim to see what time he was coming to find out he was already on the road and according to him halfway here.  His halfway was Cascade . . . he didn't have far to come to get here by then.  He called when he got into Dubuque for directions and, of course, missed the turn to the new complex I'm in.  When he got here we went out to meet him and my surprise was my wonderful granddaughter Charlotte!  She came with him to help 'grandma Joy clean her messy house!" and to surprise me.  It was a great surprise!!  And she really was a help plus the fact of having her here was wonderful!  My children did a lot of leg work and running that I am no longer able to do.  My new place has two bathrooms, two bedrooms, a laundry room (with washer/dryer), kitchen, and living room.  There's also a garage.  It's wonderful.  I'm sure I am going to be very happy here!! 

Jim, Barb and Charlotte went shopping later Saturday afternoon.  Jim decided I really needed a different TV for the extra bedroom so off they went.  They found one (a beautiful 24 inch, HD with DVD player).  I am also the owner of a new toaster (Barb really didn't like my old one), chrome storage cube for my bathroom for towels, etc., and an over the stool storage for the guest bathroom.  Oh, and a new computer desk!  Jim spent a lot of time trying to get the TV hooked up and finally decided it didn't work.  That went back on Sunday morning!  Got back home with the other new one and took him about 5 minutes to get everything set up.  Putting the computer desk together took much longer, but it looks great.  While putting the desk together the topic of a new computer for Mom (aka Joy) came up.  Jim has an HP laptop that's he's been trying to sell and told me he'd give it to me for $150 so I now have a new laptop coming too.  He did not get the printer hooked up to either the laptop or the desktop and I haven't had the time to fool with it.  Actually I'll probably call a friend and see if he can take some time to check out what's going on and get me hooked up again!!!  Maybe this weekend!  

I have definitely downsized, but in a good way.  I'm still finding things that I really don't need anymore and St. Vicient DePaul is just down the road.  My biggest problem seems to be getting my scrapbooking stuff in order.  It's coming, it's coming!  Found a lot of pictures I had forgotten about and am anxious to get back to working on some books for family and friends.  

As usual, when I added my pictures I had them in no particular order, but there they are, with short explanations of what's happening!

 I packed up the boxes and eventually we got them all stuck in Betsy's van and ready to move to my new address on Radford Road.


The movers put the buffet and hutch next to the patio doors, which after looking at the room, we decided was not a good place for it.  The TV and fireplace are not sitting in that area.  Barb and Betsy are trying to figure out how to get that darn drawer out so we could move it easier!  Don't tell Bets I put her picture on here!!!

We took some time on Saturday afternoon to take some pictures of me and my favorite granddaughter.  She was ready for the picture, but Grandma wasn't!  But she's such a cutie you gotta love her!!!
Charlotte told me she came to help clean up my messy house and that is exactly what she's doing.  She was moving my computer desk chair out of the spare bedroom into the living room so they could work on the computer desk and the TV.  Betsy was there to help!
 Charlotte found out how much fun it was using the hammer on the cardboard that the computer desk came in that she decided to build her own project.  She had a great time.  They only had to move her a couple of times!!!
 Charlotte is just checking out what everyone is doing.  Jim's hard at it putting that desk together!!!
 I took possession of my new place on May 17th.  On May 18th Betsy and I moved a bunch of things into the apartment.  Welcome!  First thing to move in was toilet paper!  Gotta have that if you have a crew in to help move!!!  That would be my front door!!!
 We found some colored pencils and paper so that Charlotte could make a card for her Mommy.  I got to help sharpen the pencils.  She made a great card for Mandy.
 My little helper.  She brought her friends along to help too.  She also found a new one here that kept her company part of the time.  She's quite the little helper!!!
 Charlotte loves to measure things and Barb bought a piece of furniture to put the filing cabinet on.  She helped measure the space needed.  She does a great job!!!
 What a great picture (of me).  Charlotte got distracted by who knows what!!!  A great memory for me.
 Welcome to my new place.  Betsy caught me just as I was opening the door to the new place.  It was a bit windy that day, but we are kinda out in the country!
 Grandma, can I tell you something?  Heard that a lot Memorial Day weekend.  It was great!!!
 Just me and my girl!
 The majority of the big stuff I own!  They filled up the truck and Betsy, Tanya, Jim, Hannah, Ruby and Bri helped moved the rest of it a few days later.
 We're still sharpening pencils and making a card.  Don't you just love boxes when unpacking and moving.
 My three helpers . . . Jim & Barb are working on the computer desk, Charlotte is helping!
  Working hard on her project!!!


I'm sure it'll be sometime before everything is where I want it.  I keep moving things from one place to another.  I also have a garage full of Christmas things that need to be organized and put up on a pallet or 2x4's.  That should take me at least a day to do!!  Pictures and shelves, etc., are still sitting in boxes or in the corner of my bedroom waiting to be put up.  Some, I'm sure, will not grace my walls again, but then again you never know.  Might come up with a whole different wall arrangement!  I'm very happy here.  Right now there is a beautiful breeze coming in my patio doors.  Finally figured out how to get the windows open!!!  Oh, did I tell you I have central air in this place?  I'm thrilled to death about that!!!  Barb has already programmed my thermostat.  It's great to have kids that can help out the way mine have.  I don't know what I'd do without them.

Charlotte has a dance rectial tonight.  I wished I would have known about it a little earlier but Barb promised to take pictures for me.  I just can't get down there this weekend.  We have our family gathering coming up at the end of the month.  I'm looking forward to that.  Oliver will be able to join us in some of the fun.  Last year he was so good, he spent the majority of the time either in the stroller or someone held him.  Maybe that was good . . . we might have to take turns running after him this year.  Can't wait to see everyone!

It's about time for me to do something constructive . . right now it's time to get something to eat.  Peace to all!


No comments: