Sunday, July 16, 2006

Cool, cool water!

I'm so excited! I got my pictures to upload immediately today! I tried getting these on yesterday when I wrote and nothing would work so I jut plain quit! But I tried again now and here they are. We spent the 3rd of July in the Park. We took Old Falls River Road up the mountain and got some get scenery shots as well as some 'people' shots. Here's one of Glee and I on one of the pullovers for all us tourists that just have to have those pictures. As you can see it was a bit windy by this time already.


Old Falls River Road is such a cool drive. It's gravel and only one-way -- up the mountain. Barb and Katie were in Estes Park the first week in June and the road wasn't open yet. It opened the weekend we got out there. When we arrived at the Alpine Center I couldn't believe the snow!!! They used a blower to open the top part of the road. You could stick your hand out the window and touch the snow. A lot of people had already put their name in SNOW! It was very chilly at the top of the mountain. Sweatshirts or long-sleeved shirts were definitely needed. We didn't climb all the way to the top this time -- maybe next year. Enjoyed the sights and did some shopping and then headed back down the mountain toward Grand Lake. It rained on and off all the way down. We were hoping to see some elk or moose but I think it was too miserable even for them to be out. We didn't get all the way to Grand Lake but turned back instead and started back up. I got this weather shot at one of the pullovers. Isn't it cool?? It was spitting rain and a little snow by this time!!! As we were driving into Estes Park there was snow on the sides of the road and in the middle. The temperature went from 84 degrees to 43 degrees ont he way down! It warmed up when we got back to the cabin but what a switch in weather. It was an interesting trip. Glad we didn't have to drive in the actual snowfall, but did make something to tell all our friends about!

On the way up we pulled over so I could get this shot of a waterfall. You could hear the water rushing down the mountains and into the streams below. This isn't really a waterfall but runoff from the snow on the top of the mountain. Makes a pretty picture though! Glee was very patient with me and pulled off the road whenever I asked her. Got some great shots! Thanks kiddo!

We went on the Colorado River Trail one afternoon. It was threatening again but we decided to chance it anyway. We went off the beaten path and found the river. Here's a picture of the Colorado close to its orgin. Doesn't it look peacful? It's the same river that a lot of people go white river rafting on -- doesn't look like it could be that swift and fast!!





Well, I got the pictures to work but can't get them exactly on the page the way I want but you get the idea. It was a great trip and hopefully I can do it again sometime soon!


It's extremely warm (HOT) around here today. I've had my air conditioner on now for 2 days straight and think it's going to go longer!!! Hate to see the electric bill, but at least I'm fairly comfortable. I've been enjoying my weekend at home doing scrapbooking. I'm working on pictures from when we lived in Arizona. Brings back a lot of memories, but that's what pictures are for. These from Colorado will find a place in one of my books soon! Hope you enjoyed them. Leave a comment and let me know.



Stay cool everyone!!


No comments: