Saturday, July 15, 2006

More Colorado


A week ago today we were on our way home from our 'little house in the mountains.' With the hot weather we're experiencing right now, I'd love to be back at the cabin.

One of the awsome sights in Rocky Mountain National Park is Big Horn Sheep. This was my second trip to Estes Park. The first time we didn't see any sheep at all. This trip we had 3 sightings and I got pictures of 2 of them. Actually I got pictures of all three sightings but I was using a camera I wasn't used to and ended up with 4 great pcitures of . . . TREES! I aimed at the wrong thing. The trees were beautiful but no sheep! They went to the delete file real soon!! However we spent an afternoon in the Big Thompson River Canyon enjoying the river, the sights and the local businesses along the way. On our way back "home" we spotted these big horn sheep. I just had to try again and get some pictures and this is one of them. Aren't they beautiful? No rams, but a lot of females and young. We were also lucky enough to spot some in the park one day and spent an enjoyable half hour just watching them running and jumping from rock to rock. They are amazing animals the way they can scamper from one rock to another. I thank my daughter, Barb, for letting me use her camera. For some reason mine decided not to work and Barb has a great zoom on her's. The picture of the big horn sheep were taken across the road in the canyon and up on the canyon walls. They turned out beautifully! I'm really proud of myself for getting some of the pictures I did!!!

This picture is of the Big Thompson River that, of course, runs through Big Thompson Canyon. It's a very fast moving river and has been known to flood the whole canyon (1979). We saw a lot of fishermen on the river. It's all catch and release but that didn't seem to keep them from fishing. It's also very cold!!!! but beautiful. I'm facinated by streams, rivers and waterfalls not to mention the mountains. If I could have stayed a few more days in my 'cabin in the mountains' I would have. The air is fresh and clean. The mountains are huge and absolutely beautiful. We had rain every day we were out there (they needed it so bad) but each morning we woke up to absolutely beautiful blue skies, puffy white clouds and crisp clean air. One morning it was 48 degrees. We wore sweatshirts and jeans most of the time.

I've many more pictures to share but seem to be having difficulty this morning getting them to upload so think I'll give it up for the moment. I hope you-all are enjoying my picture trip. I do so love Colorado and want to share some of my memories.

It's extremely warm today, so before it gets much warmer, I think I better run some errands. I promised myself a quiet weekend of scrapbooking, reading and sleeping! I better get on that.

Until next time . . . .

No comments: