Monday, November 30, 2009

The JOY Tree


This is a JOY tree

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas around my place. A tradition I've done for many years is to put my Christmas tree up Thanksgiving weekend. Well, this year was no different and my tree is up! In addition to my big tree there is a JOY tree in my hallway! As I was talking to a friend of mine recently, it came up about all my Christmas ornaments and especially my JOY ornaments. I love Christmas and have many, many ornaments for my tree(s). I've got to the point where I can't even get them all on one tree. I've left a few off the last couple of years. She thought a JOY tree was a great idea. I didn't think that sounded too bad either so it became a reality Sunday afternoon.

Barb had given me her old tree a couple of years ago. I never did get it to the people I was going to and now I'm very glad I didn't. It fits so well in my little hallway (right outside my bathroom). There's about 30 ornaments on it and they all say JOY one way or the other. I'd like to add a couple new ones (and probably will), but it looks pretty good for the first time out.

I had to go out and buy some new lights on Sunday morning. And I didn't get lights all the way around, but since it's in a corner you can hardly tell the difference. Also my big tree has lights and garland all the way around, but there's a spot in the back that does not have ornaments (I think the JOY's belong there!).

A friend of mine drug all the boxes upstairs for me last Tuesday. They sat around here for a couple of days and then Wednesday afternoon (after work) I started putting the tree together. I'm thankful for friends who are willing to help me get my stuff up the stairs. Going down is not a problem (I can always tuck and roll) but bringing boxes, groceries, etc. up on some days is very hard. Don't believe the stories about the Golden Years! They just ain't true!!!!

Barb made a quick visit here on Wednesday night. She told me she would help get the Christmas stuff upstairs and put the tree together. She was very surprised (and pleasantly so, I hope) that she didn't have to do any of that. I had the tree halfway done by the time she got here. We finished putting it together and then went to bed. When she got up Thursday morning she started putting the lights on for me. She got them all up before she left for her Dad's for Thanksgiving dinner. I know I could have gotten it done, but bet it wouldn't be completed yet!!! I'm a little slow when it comes to climbing up and down on ladders!! I finished the tree on Saturday. Like I said, I'm a little slow. I did manage to get it pushed back into the corner where I want it. Learned a long time ago to put shiny cardboard underneath the base (it pushes so much easier that way).

Got a call from my son and his family on Thanksgiving Day wishing me a good one. That was cool! Made my day!! Everyone had something on for Thanksgiving Day this year so I had a TV (turkey) dinner and put up my tree. Watched some football (what else?) and did a little sleeping too! The tree is up (the big one), the JOY tree is complete and the majority of the decorations are put where I want them (or think I do). Sounds like Jim and his sisters will be able to come over tomorrow night and help drag all the empty boxes back downstairs. Sometimes it's a real pain to live on the second floor!!

My family (or those that can) are getting together this coming weekend at my sister's. I'm planning on that plus going to a basketball game that evening. Mike's team will be playing at home and since I haven't seen any of his teams play yet . . . thought this was a good time!! I'm sure we'll have a very enjoyable day together!!

I'd love to say that I'm done shopping but that just ain't true! I talked to Jim tonight and asked him what he and Mandy wanted for Christmas this year. He couldn't come up with anything. That was a bummer, but I'll think of something between then and now!!

Have a trip planned for Des Moines on Thursday. It's a Planner's Meeting. Guess I'll leave on Thursday morning and come back that evening. Makes for a long day, but if everything goes okay at the office I should be able to leave a little earlier on Friday. Get started on my sleep!!

I gave myself a sore foot putting up the tree. I stepped back and right on the end of one of the branches. It punctured my foot, bleed and is sore, but seems to be okay. I've been watching it closely and had our nurse look at it today at work. She'll continue to monitor my foot (poor woman) and if there's a problem I'll hike off to the doctor. What a dumb thing to do! Barb asked if I was wearing shoes . . . of course not . . . that's about the first thing I take off when I get home. I do, however now, wear slippers. Live and learn.

Have a great week all.

1 comment:

Barb said...

The tree looks good, fits in that corner real well. Can;t wait to see it in person.