Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Thought gatherings

It's been a rough week or two. Some bad things, some very good things. But a hard week for me. My co-worker, Donna, lost her husband last Wednesday. She says she's been expecting this for 10 years. Even when you know you're going to lose someone you love it's a shock. Been there, done that. It brings back memories of loved ones I've lost. My mother passed away on Mother's Day weekend years ago. I think of that every Mother's Day. I lost my Grandmother and Dad in the same week. I learned how strong I can be when needed. Donna will too. But it' a shock and it's hard to understand why someone you love has been taken from you. But, life goes on. With or without you. The sun comes up every morning and it really doesn't care if you want it to or not. We all grieve in different ways. We all get through the crisis, but there are always memories. Wonderful memories. I've been thinking of my dad a lot lately. I don't really know why, just things that have happened lately in my life. I miss him still. And it's been a long time that he's been gone. My mother, bless her soul, was such a simple person. Loving and caring. She loved my Dad from here and beyond! I see that same kind of love between my son and his wife. How wonderful to find your soulmate.

With Donna being off so much I'm trying to do 3 jobs at two different desks. I usually have the reception desk from 8 - 9 every morning and take it again in the afternoons. It makes getting some of my work done a bit of a stretch but I guess I'm getting it done. Donna will be off for at least 2 more weeks, possibly 3 weeks. We will manage. I have the help of my outreach workers and my clerk. I take work home and do some of it here. It gets done.

I'm having some problems with my legs . . . probably my own fault, but it hurts. The doctor gave me some exercises to do, told me to take Aleve for some of the pain and just get through it. I have a pinched nerve in my back. Sometimes the pain stops me in my tracks! And then there's usually that wonderful sound of "Ohhhhhh" or "Ouch". I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to pain. Like everything else in life, I'll get through it. I'm feeling much better than a couple of months ago. I still have a cough that wakes me from time to time but 100% better than I was. Barbie has a cold and worries me a bit. She just hasn't been able to get rid of it. She's a great help to me when I'm aching or hurting, but doesn't take her own medicine very good. GO TO THE DOCTOR BARB!!! Just get well kiddo.

Congratulations to Katie! Katie now has her PhD. Wow! What an accomplishment. I'm so proud of her. She's worked very hard. Best of luck to her in the future!

Sunday was Charlotte's 1st birthday party. What a beautiful little girl. My baby girl is certainly growing up. I love being a grandmother. Charlotte is so easy to love. Mandy and Jim had a party for her. Mandy did a great job on the decorations and all the other aspects of giving a party. I wished I lived closer so that I could see her more often and that the kids could come to visit more often, but that's not to be. We'll just enjoy the time we are together and make it quality time. Got some great pictures and hope that other members of the family got the same and will be willing to share. I could do a scrapbook of just Charlotte's birthday party! I probably will!!

I'm going to try and market some of my scrapbooks. I contacted a lady that is going to have a store at Kennedy Mall and I will have some books there for sale. The store will open this fall so I have all summer to get ready. I am excited about this adventure. Maybe it will give me a purpose in life again. Things have been going south of late. I will continue to work on the books that I have here at home too. I've got one started on Charlotte from Day One!! I want to start one for Tristan and continue to work on books about Jackson. Currently I'm doing a wedding book for me of Jim & Mandy's wedding. Probably should do something for me with my granddaughter too! There's plenty for me to scrap . . . not always the time or the willlingness to do it!!

Have been attending training on new rules and regulations with background and record checks for our employees. Lots of red tape and it all costs so much money! Lots of people are needy in our area. Being at the front desk and answering the phone I hear more about all the disconnects and problems with lack of food and other family emergencies. A person doesn't realize how good they have it until they hear some of these stories. We have people coming in with $800 - $1,400 electric bills. Shutoff notices! Health emergencies! I should be thankful for what I have (and I am) but it boggles your mind when you hear some of these stories.

We have state people coming in for monitoring. I go to Des Moines next week for a Planner's meeting. I am currently Co-Chair of that committee. Decisions need to be made as to what our group is going to do with our annual conference coming up in June. My major CSBG grant will be due the first week of May. I'm trying to get ahead a little and have started working on some of that. Quarterly reports are due the end of the month. Guess I should be glad I have a job and not complain. I am thankful I have a job . . . some times it just gets me down. Can I retire soon???

Tomorrow is another day. We get up, go to work and probably complain about the same things all over again. Such is life. Value your health and those you love. It's worth it.

No comments: