Saturday, December 31, 2011

Christmas Eve

Merry Christmas!

As usual, when I put my pictures on my blog they aren't in any particular order. They might have been to start with but never end up that way. Hopefully they make sense to you as they do to me, but I was there . . .

I got into Ankeny Friday evening around 5:30 p.m. I made great time from Dubuque and the traffic wasn't bad at all! I really thought it would be worse than it was but . . . I lucked out. Barbie was out with her college friends for an evening of enjoyment. She called just as I was entering Ankeny and was surprised that I was where I was. She turned around and met at her house to help unload my car!!! (I have the red sleigh!) Doesn't take long when 2 people do it together! I had help on this end too. Jim Ross and Hannah Davis helped me pack up my car Friday morning. We went out to lunch together as a thank you. They were a big help and I appreciated it very much!

I called Jim to let him know that I had got there. They were on their way to a party with friends. So . . . I spent some time just being lazy. Saturday morning we slept in a bit, took showers, got dressed and packed up Barb's car for the trip to Urbandale (about a 15 minute drive?) well something like that. We were spending Christmas Eve Day with Jim and his family and Mandy's mother, Jackie, and Mandy's brother Jesse and his wife Cheryl and Mandy's sister, Chelsea and her children (Jayke and Leighton). Mandy had all kinds of goodies made up, plus she made baked potato soup and chili. The soup was terrific!!! Everyone also brought something to munch on for the day. The day started out with Boomer getting out of the house. The dogs were sent to the basement but Bommer and Milo were upstairs with all the humans. After searching for quite some time Jessie and Jim crawled under Jim's car and found the cat! He got a swat on the butt and a hug!! All were now back in the house safe.

Everybody desecended on the food. It was decided that since there were so many of us and the pile of gifts had grown considerably when Jackie and Frank and Barb and I got there that opening gifts was next on the list. The following are pictures of our Christmas Eve Day!

Jessie and Cheryl left the house early for the church. Hope has 7 services on Christmas Eve. It was decided beforehand that we would attend the 5:00 p.m. service. Jesse found us seats together in one of the far balconies. This picture was taken during the singing of Silent Night and the candlelighting service. Isn't it cool??? It was a beautiful Christmas Eve service.


Charlotte brought Grinch to church with her. She loves the singing of the congregation and they do a lot of it at Hope. She was content to just sit and wait for something to happen.




Back to the gift opening for a minute. Jim opened a gift to the whole family from Barb - an ornament with everyone's name on it for next year's Christmas tree. Cool.


We took turns with baby time. Barb has Oliver and looks like she's telling him some story of some kind. Wonder what it was about?


Back at church . . . when we left the service we found one of the many trees and had our pictures taken together. Some nice gentleman from the congregation came up and took pictures of all us that attended together. Aren't we a happy looking bunch?


Cheryl and Jesse were the photographers for this shot. A great memory of me with my kids at Christmas.


Barb and I took our turn holding the little ones and having our pictures taken. Another great memory.


Another candle shot. Hope is such a beautiful church and the Christmas Eve service is something to look forward to from one year to the next.


Mandy and Charlotte are ready for church.




Before leaving for church Charlotte took The Grinch on a shopping trip! Now that's the way to dress for shopping!!


Barbie with the newest member of the Davis Clan. He's so darn cute!


We took turns opening our gifts. I got a Kindle from Barb. I love it! This is the first Christmas in a long time that I remember having pictures of myself. Kinda nice!!! Thanks Barbie.


I also received a new camera. Jim and Mandy found one that I can figure out and use to my heart's content. I love it!!! Can't wait to put it to use. Jim charged it and changed the memory cards and I was ready to go! Took a few pictures at church so at least everyone knows I got it figure out . . . to that point anyway!!!


A new toy for Oliver. He's certainly enjoying gift opening!


Everybody got baby time. It was my turn. I think Oliver was telling me something!


Did anyone win? Chelsea gave everyone a scratch-off for a gift. Mandy, Jackie and Frank are hard at it trying to win the big one!!!


Mandy was pretty busy the majority of the day, but took time out for a picture with her family. Aren't they a delight?


Uncle Jesse sat down and the kids piled on!!! We're missing Oliver but he was busy being held by one of the grandma's!!!

Jim & his son in front of the tree. I know there's a tree back there someplace!!


Oliver in his Christmas finery!!!


Me and my grandkids!

Jim & Oliver. I stoled this from Barbie's picture of the Davis Christmas in Cascade. Couldn't resist. What a great picture.


Barb's Christmas tree.


No real order to my pictures. I think it's time to take blogger 101 again. There's many more and if I get enough ambition to try again I'll put some more on. Pictures are such a cool way to keep memories alive. I don't take as many as I should but I steal from everyone else and then put them in memory books to share.


I hope everyone had as nice a Christmas as I did. I had a great time with my sister and her family (but then we always do) and a lot of quality time with my daughter during this Christmas season. I enjoyed the day with the Davis' and my new extended family (Jackie and her kids). Here's to more memories for all of us! God Bless.

No comments: