Thursday, July 10, 2008

Summer


Barb & Mandy's Uncle Harry on July 5th.




Bob trying to grab the rope off the garage with a tiki torch!!


The other newlyweds -- Cheryl & Jesse.



My sister.


Jim & Mandy at Macaroni Bar & Grill in late June.
Yes, summer is definitely here! Hot and humid weather, rainy mornings, hot afternoons! And parties on Jim & Mandy's deck!! I spent part of my July 4th weekend in Ankeny/Urbandale. Jim & Mandy invited a number of family members to help 'baptize' their deck. Jim had replaced a lot of boards, painted, put back together, they bought a beautiful patio set and some new torches so . . . it was time for a party. And it was a great party!
Harry, Bob and Jesse brought tools to help trim trees around the house. Jim drug a lot of branches to the back of their property that afternoon. Harry used Jim's new ladder to get to the top roof and cut additional branches down that needed to be removed. While up there he asked Bob to throw him up a rope so he could lower the chain saw back down. Bob responded with throwing the rope . . . only it landed on the garage roof rather than the house. But as you can see he retrieved it! It was amusing!!! And I don't think it was part of the party entertainment.
Mandy fixed a fantastic supper. We had grilled brats, hamburgers and hot dogs, cheesy potatoes, and baked beans -- every kind of chips you could think of, fruits, dips, brownies, snicker salad, cookies, ice cream, strawberry shortcake, etc. Everyone brought something to share but Mandy did the majority of the work. No one left the tables hungry! If they did it was their own fault!!
My sister and husband came down for the weekend too. It was nice they were able to come. They have a Canadian trip coming up shortly. I'm sure they'll have a great time.
I came home on Sunday. Took a different route than usual -- I usually go 151, #1, and then 80 into Des Moines. Since all of the flooding my route has had to change. Highway 1 is currently not travel able. Barb & Jim both told me to take 151, 380 and 80 and I'd have no problems. I do kinda remember going that way many years ago but have gotten into the habit of going on 1. I had no problems at all -- until I came back home. I have no clue what I did but all at once I realized that I was on 151S/30W and heading back where I came from!!! So . . . I took a quick scenic trip through parts of Cedar Rapids and got back to where I was supposed to be. Only took me a few extra minutes and I got home okay. Duh!!! Guess I must be getting to the age where I have to have everything written out for me!!! But I will venture out again soon. I want to spend some time with the kids again. I need Mandy's advice on a couple of things and visiting with them is as good as an excuse as any!!!
I always complain I never go any place or see anyone but after looking over my calendar for the last month find that this is not true. I've seen more of my sister in the last 6 weeks than I did all of last year. She came down for a long weekend and some major shopping. I certainly enjoyed that a lot. Always fun to help spend someone else's money!!! The following weekend my niece had a party and Barb and I were both invited so . . . we headed north on Saturday afternoon. Made a stop at Glee's to check out the new bedroom. It's cool!! Had a nice time at Beth & Karsten's. Spent some time with Jackson, but would have loved to have spent more. Maybe next time. The following weekend Glee called me on Friday night to see what I was doing the next day and said she was getting her car serviced could I pick her up. Well that was really hard as we went out for breakfast and a little shopping. The really weired part of that visit was that I took my car to have a light replaced, pulled into the garage and she started talking to the guy fixing the light. She worked with him at Cabela's at one time. From there we went to Kohl's and we ran into some people she knew, went to Target and the same thing happened. I live here and didn't see a person I knew at all! We went to Perkin's for breakfast/lunch and our cousin and his wife were there!! At least I knew them. Like I said it was interesting! We missed a weekend and then spent time together at Jim & Mandy's again. Now I probably won't see her again until the holidays!!!
I had a vision appointment late this afternoon. I'm waiting for my eyes to come back to normal. I was really hoping it would stay cloudy this afternoon but the sun came out just as I left for the doctor's office. I got home okay, but boy is it bright out!!!! Eyes turned out fine. Don't even have to get new lenses!
As usual I've been scrapping. Finished Beth's book that I gave her for Christmas. Took it with me to Urbandale and gave it to my sister, so Beth should have it by now. Told her I'd be happy to add pictures if she wanted. "You snap 'em, I'll scrap 'em"!!!
I did a book for Jackie (Mandy's mom) and finally got that finished and Mandy got it to her. I had a very nice surprise from Jackie at the party. She gave me a beautiful thank you card but also included a gift card to Michael's. Thanks so much Jackie! You really didn't need to do that. I'm beginning to think that scrapbooking has become an obsession rather than a hobby!! And I do love it!!!
Time to do some dishes. I actually made myself a decent supper. I made out a shopping list for tomorrow night -- I'm just about out of everything!! I've decided it's about time to plan my meals and try and eat more healthy!! A friend of mine at work plans her meals for about 2 weeks in advance. She said it really helps on the budget and you can always change something if necessary.
I have a co-worker that was told her husband has cancer this morning. She's having a real hard time with it. He's beat it before, plus a couple of major heart attacks, and this one has gotten both of them down. John's not certain he really wants to fight this one or not. He's scheduled for some tests on Monday, but the last time I talked to Donna she wasn't sure that he would even do that. Say a prayer or two for both of them, please. They've been through a lot in the last 7 years and are about to start on it again -- if he decides to do treatments.
Best go. I told my sister I'd try to keep this up better than I have been. I'll try!
Take care all.

No comments: