Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Wheee!

I about had a heart attack -- I wanted to put some pictures in my blog tonight and couldn't find the camera cord. I had my computer checked out and put the cord away . . . but the question was where did I put it??? After searching all over the room I finally checked under the TV and there it was! Just where I put it. So, I can now add some new pictures to my ramblings.

Odie came to visit me over the Thanksgiving weekend. Jim & Mandy arrived on Wednesday evening (with Odie) and they spent Thanksgiving Day with Jim's dad while Odie stayed with me. He's such a good dog. We baked pies, peeled potatoes, made beds, dusted, vacuumed and other exciting things when you're getting ready for a big day. He really was good. Around 7 or so he acted like he needed to go outside so I said the magic words, put my shoes and coat on and away we went. Jim told me to hang onto the leash-- tight! He really meant TIGHT! We flew down the steps, out the door and up the street. He did his job, pulling me the majority of the way and we found our way back to my place. We played tug-a-war with a toy we made and we both took a nap together.

Jim & Mandy made dressing balls for our Thanksgiving day appetizer. They had a little help (as you can see) with Jackson. Jackson took to Jim immediately and seemed to want to see what they were doing so Jim lifted him on the chair and he helped!! The dressing balls were fantastic! Everyone enjoyed them.












I had a full-house! My place isn't small but when you get a number of people here it seems that way. Jim, Mandy & Odie, Barbie, Glee & Ron, Beth & Jackson and Mark & Sandie celebrated Thanksgiving with me. It was great having them all here. Mike and Karsten had to work and we'll get to spend some time with them at Christmas (I hope).

It was fun having Jackson around. Have to get used to the pitter patter of little feet. Next year at this time I'll have a little granddaughter to brag about. I'm very excited about that. I was a little worried about Jackson and Odie being together but they got along great. Like I've said before, Odie is a good dog.

Friday morning Barb, Jim & Mandy got up early and did some shopping. They weren't able to find everything they planned on, but were successful with some of their purchases. I heard them take Odie out and the whole group leave. They were back around 8:00 or so and all went back to bed. I got up around 8:30 and chased Barbie off the sofa and sent her to my room for the rest of her nap. Poor Barb, attempted to sleep with me while they were here and I know there were a few times when she elbowed me so that I'd move and quit snoring. Sorry about that Barbie, I can't seem to do anything about it. Jim and Mandy were my first guests on my new futon. They said it was fairly comfortable! Barb got it the last night of the weekend!! She said it was fine too.

One of the projects for the weekend was putting up my tree. I have a 7 1/2 foot tree with lots and lots of ornaments. Barb, Mandy & I got the branches all in order. Barb put them in the tree and shaped it. Jim, Mandy & Barb strung lights. Mandy was busy taking ornaments out of boxes and putting hooks on them. We all decided there must be a better way to put my ornaments away. We're working on that!! It would make it simpler to get them out -- that's for sure!















As you can see the crew did a great job. Jim did Christmas singing for us. That kept us in stitches for part of the day! He certainly takes after his dad when it comes to making up his own lyrics. When they can't remember the lyrics they just make them up!
We ordered pizza for lunch and went out for supper. I've been telling Jim & Mandy about Mario's for quite some time so we decided this was the time to try it out. The food is great there! One of my favorite places to go in Dubuque. I think Jim & Mandy enjoyed it. They went home on Saturday night. We finished eating and came back and helped load their car. Jim and Odie took one last hike up the parking lot. Now Odie can really move when that leash is around his neck, but Jim was pulling him up the hill when they started on their trek. I think in the end Odie won!!! But it was fun watching them.
This is the finished product. I think we put 600 lights on it and I'm sure there's at least 375 ornaments. I've gotten smarter in the last few years and put the base of the tree on a slick cardboard so that it's easier to push it back into the corner. We decorate all sides of it. It looks great at night with all the lights on!! Thanks kids for all the help. I appreciate it more than you know. Are you willing to come back in January and do it all over again -- only backwards???
I have a meeting in Des Moines Thursday. We had snow today but it seems to have moved out of the area and Barb tells me the roads are good in the Des Moines area. I thought about going down tonight but after all the snow around here decided I would rather drive during the daylight hours. Makes a long day, but goes with my job.
I have some projects lined up for the weekend. Hopefully I can get a little shopping done too. Have to put packages under that tree now that it's done.
Take care all.

No comments: