Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day to all the mother's out there. It was a beautiful day in Dubuque. A bit on the windy side, but the sun was shining and it was a pretty day.

Barb came for the weekend. That was really special to me. She stopped at her brother's before she came and was able to help Mandy get ready for formal pictures and a trip to Council Bluffs. Mandy's aunt passed away and the funeral was on Saturday. My sympathies to Mandy and her family. Reminds me of a few years back when my own mother passed away on Mother's Day weekend. It's just not something you forget. But she is now in a better place, and hopefully, watching us and enjoying every minute of her great-granddaughter and her grandchildren!

Barb got here around 9:00 and brought me a Mother's Day gift. Everyone knows I'm a scrapbooker and she brought me a 9-drawer storage unit for my papers. We filled that up this afternoon. I'll get organized one way or the other!!

Saturday morning we slept in (that was nice) and then started on organizing my bedroom. It was in bad need of something like that. We really cleaned house! Took a whole load of things to Salvation Army. Bought a shoe rack for my shoes and made a couple other minor changes to the room. It really looks great! I can't thank Barbie enough. We did a little shopping Saturday afternoon. . . . for me. I got some new clothes! Since we got rid of a lot of things I had the room. I'll have trouble deciding what to wear to work for the next few weeks!! We grilled for supper and Barb suffered through another Saturday night of NASCAR racing. She's a good sport about it. We also had a very nice visit along with a bottle of wine!

Sunday we went out for brunch (that was actually breakfast for us). The food was great. It's my favorite meal to eat out. I don't have a problem with making breakfast but I love bacon and seem to have the smell of that for the rest of the day!! Barb wondered how my leg was feeling when we left and wondered if I felt well enough to walk around the furniture store. I forgot to tell you that I broke my recliner Thursday evening!! What a bummer! I thought maybe between the two of us we could figure out how to repair it but that didn't happened. I'm sure someone can, but I'm not sure where to take it. We looked at recliners and sofas and after much looking I decided to get a new recliner and a sofa. I ordered a camel colored sofa and a burgundy chair. I have a glider rocker (from Barb) in forest green with some khaki in it so the sofa and recliner should look good. It probably won't be here until Memorial Day weekend or later, but that gives me a chance to get the old furniture removed from the living room. I'm really excited about new furniture. The sofa is a little smaller than what I have and I really didn't have room for 3 chairs in my living room. It was fun looking at the different styles, etc.

We ended our afternoon with ice cream at Culver's. They had a mother's day special, if you bought one sundae you got the second free. Can't beat that and it certainly hit the spot!! Barb left around 4. Hope it wasn't too late when she got home. It's a drive between here and there but in good weather it's not so terrible. I'm planning on making the trip down there for next weekend. Want to spend some time with my new granddaughter. Barb says she's growing and I can't wait to hold a little one that isn't all bundled up in her blankets!! I'm sure I'll have pictures to share.

Jim called a couple times today to wish me a happy mother's day. That was sweet. I asked if he and Mandy could copy the pictures they have been putting on their blog for a baby book. I've copied them but they just aren't as clear as I would like them. This way I'll have really good copies to use. I'm looking forward to working on baby books of my grandchild. I'm currently doing one for Glee about Jackson. He's such a cutie! He's at that stage in his life where he certainly doesn't sit still and has all kinds of things to babble about!! Will be good to see him again soon too.

That was pretty much my Mother's Day. Last year I spent it with Jim, Mandy and Jayke at their house. I fell in love with Jayke (he's Mandy's nephew). We had a great weekend then too. Jim & Mandy had Barb and I over for supper on the grill and an evening of movies. We all went to church together the next day and out to lunch before I had to head home. It's a good memory! Just as this year will be. Thanks Barbie, I had a great weekend!!

No comments: