Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Weather!

Hope everyone had a good Father's Day weekend! Barbie stopped by on Friday night to check out the furniture. She liked it!! I wasn't sure she was going to get here with the weather being the way it was . . but she made it!

We had a good sized storm go through Dubuque around 8:00 a.m. on Friday morning. The rain was coming down vertically! One of the gals I work with is a weather spotter and called in a report from the window on the second floor of our office building. Lots of trees down in the city, power outages all over the place. Finley Hospital was running on generators yet when I came home Friday evening. And that was a surprise too . . . I pushed on my garage door opener to open up and nothing happened! A couple of the ladies next door were out and gave me a yell and said we didn't have any electricity!! Hadn't had any all day and no one knew when we would get some. They offered to help me get my garage door open but I told them I could handle it (I think). Well, I couldn't but Don came home about then and he helped me. I held the door (side door) so that he could kinda see and he got the door open. We left the downstairs inside door open cuz you couldn't see anything down there any way. We really should be used to that part as half the time there's no lights in the laundry room any way. It was a bit warm in my place when I opened the door. When you don't have electricity you don't have phones!! I knew there was a reason I kept one wired to the wall. I called Alliant and got a recording that they would be out in a couple of hours. Course the last call was at 11 a.m. and still no electricity. About 10,000 homes were without power on Friday. We finally got some back around 7:30 p.m. Barb got here about 9:00 and we headed out for something to eat. Had a nice meal at the Olive Garden. One of my favorite places to go in Dubuque. Thanks Barb! And thanks for the leftovers, they came in handy.

Barb left Saturday around noon for her Dad's and her celebration of Father's Day with him. Sounds like they had a good time. It rained on their parade a little but they still had a nice time.

Barb and I were discussing some things we can do the next time anyone comes home. Hopefully we can get some wires put up around here and then head out for the Mississippi River Museum. The attraction right now is lizards. You can find them all over Dubuque!!! It's quite interesting they way they promote them. One of the businesses near New View has one of them in their window. It's a 5 foot green lizard with all the different historical sites around Dubuque painted on it. If we go to the museum we can also try the river walk. And when you're down that way you might as well visit Stone Cliff Winery! There's other places to go and see here in town too. I guess I think about that after everyone leaves. Got a list started of things to do so . . . come on home kids and we'll do something together!!

The rest of my weekend was quiet -- warm, but quiet. Late Sunday evening I made a call to a friend of mine and after that I lost my phone service. My wireless phones said not available and my wired phone just had static!! I called it in on Monday morning and it finally got repaired last in the afternoon. The test run showed that a receiver was off the hook, but I unplugged and plugged my phones back in and nothing happened. No phone was off the hook in this house!! I'm glad it's back. I have my cell but didn't realize how much I use my landline!!

Sounds like hot weather for the rest of the week. Storms predicted for the rest of the week. I finally got my grill cover back on. Now I really do need a rain to wash it off!! But we can do without the storm part!! Glee and Ron are in Colorado (I envy them) hope the weather out there is good. Next year -- I really want to go back next year!

I'm working on a baby book for Jim & Mandy. Mandy asked me not to put journaling in and you'd be surprised how fast it goes. I'm leaving a place on each page for the journaling that they can either use or take out and put their own in. It's kinda fun doing it this way. I'm fairly happy with the way most of the pages have turned out so far. My passion!!

Garbage goes out tonight and mine is still sitting in the kitchen. I better go drag it out to the curb!

Have a good week.

No comments: