Thursday, April 13, 2006

Bats!

If any of you have read Jim & Mandy's blog you know that they had some problems with bats!! I repeated the story to some of my co-workers yesterday at work! It was funny (and a little scary) if you were Mandy! I really didn't think much of anything about it, but last night I went to bed around 12:30 (I was pretty tired) and fell right to sleep. I woke up around 2:30 and decided I better go to the bathroom. The weather has been so beautiful that I have windows open all day and night so when I crawled back into bed I pulled my down comforter up to my chin. I have a tendency, at times, to move my legs around before I get comfortable and get back to sleep. Wellllll . . . that's when I felt something in the lower part of my bed. I immediately stopped moving around. Tried to think what it could be. I knew it wasn't a bat (it didn't scream or even move) but it was still there in my bed under the bottom sheet. I had told the bat story to a friend of mine last night and it came back to me immediately! I didn't panic like Mandy and go running out of the room or outdoors or anything, but I did move to the other side of the bed and laid there for quite some time trying not to think about what it might be or that there was even something there! I finally fell asleep. This morning I got up and took my shower and got ready to go to Waterloo to help pick out and pick up a load of food for a food distribution the group I volunteer with is having on Saturday. I never thought to check the bed. I didn't have time to make it before it was time to leave so . . . whatever was in my bed, was still in my bed!! Well, I'm here to tell you that when I got back this afternoon I decided I best make my bed -- and find out what the lump or bump or whatever that was on my side of the bed! I pulled the covers off and felt around (on top of the sheets, not under) to see if I could still find a bump. We've been having hornets in the building I live in and last fall I had one living with me for about 10 days before I finally helped it leave this world! I'm scared to death of bees, hornets, wasps, etc. Anything that may sting me or cause me pain!!!! My thought was that it just might be a hornet that had gotten into the laundry and when I made the bed stuck to the sheets. Being the brave person I am (hope my family doesn't fall down laughing at that remark), I carefully pulled back the comforter, then the top sheet and sure enough -- there was a lump or bump still there. It hadn't moved! It was either dead or . . . I have no idea what else I thought it could be! I finally got enough nerve to pull the bottom sheet back and find out -- well is my face red. I certainly have a vivid imagine. It was a piece of silcon caulk that we used to weatherize the windows in my place that I had pulled off last week. Obviously a small (and it was fairly small) piece of it had stuck to the mattress pad and I didn't find it before I made the bed! Was I happy to see that little piece of silcon!! My very vivid imagine started working overtime after reading Mandy's bat story and talking to Jim about it on the phone!!!

It's an absolutely beautiful day. The trees outside my bedroom windows are starting to bud out. The grass is all a very pretty green and spring (or maybe I should say summer) is definitely in the air! When we came home this afternoon the bank temperature read 78 degrees. I could live with this kind of weather all year round (except maybe at Christmas, have to have some cold and snow for that to be a perfect holiday). I have the rest of the week off and hope to spend some of that time outdoors. They're working on the street past my place so to get to the mall and the west end I have to take the long way around! I'm working on scrapbooking (as usual) and have a gift certificate from Michael's just burning a hole in my pocket! Sounds like some wet weather may be in store for us, but without rain we won't have crops, etc. so I guess I'll be thankful for warm, wet weather. I can do, however, without storms. I'm not exactly scared of storms, they just make me nervous. I hate not being able to see what is happening and they always seem to come at night!!

I think I've taken up enough of your time. Hope everyone is having a great weekend. Enjoy your Easter holiday! God Bless.

No comments: