Saturday, April 15, 2006

Shopping

I love shopping! Only thing I always end up pooped! Today was no different. My daughter, Barb, and I decided to spend our Easter shopping. I met her this morning in Williamsburg and the adventure began . . . we had a very successful day. I bought some really cool things. They're all laying all over my bed at the moment. I've lost some weight and am in bad need of some new things. Barb is a great person to take with you when you want to shop! She has great color sense and style. I'm real happy with my new purchases. Can't wait to wear them! I'll have a hard time deciding which outfit to wear on Monday. I even bought myself some new nite-shirts! They're pretty cool too!!!

I volunteer with a group that feeds the needy in town. Today was a free food distribution. At first I wasn't going to work but when Barb and I decided to meet at 11:00 I decided I could give the group a couple of hours this morning. We open the doors already at 7:30 and distribute food until we're out or 10:00 a.m. comes! I left around 9:00 and they were still coming through the doors! I usually work on new applications for the food cards, but today worked one of tables in the warehouse part of the building and distributed English walnuts and buttermilk buscuits! There are so many people in our area that need help. My guess would be that we served 350 families. We usually give a nice box of food away. The last couple of giveaways we've given deer meat. One of the lockers in the area has donated this meat. Some people won't take it but the majority do. I really enjoy working with this group. The majority of them aare retired individuals and sometimes the conversations get very interesting. I love sitting and listening to some of the guys talk aboaut "the good old days!" The group does a lot of good in the community.

I had a full day. Shopping with Barb topped it off. We had a nice supper before she went back to Des Moines and I headed east to Dubuque.

Bad storms in our area the other night. I watched the local channel from Waterloo and the whole evening was weather related. Nothing drastic in Dubuque but I noticed some damage near Anomosa this morning and again this afternoon when I went through. Lots of damage to trees (they were burning both the a.m. and p.m.) and one building looked like it was destroyed, while a couple of homes looked hit hard. One had patches all over it and the other looked like someone had thrown rocks or something big that had damaged the siding. Imagine it was more than just siding that was damaged!! Iowa City was hit very hard. More wet stuff on the way for tonight and Easter Sunday. You know what that means . . . rainy Easter Sunday -- 6 more weekends of rain! I saw lots of fields that were worked up and some farmers out seeding oats. Early spring! The air smells so good when you pass a field where they're out working up the ground. I love that smell. Fresh, turned earth. That and freshly cut hay! What a sweet smell!

I hope everyone has a nice Easter. With or without rain, Easter is a beautiful holiday!

No comments: